History of The Mermaid Inn, Elsing

Welcome to our historical archive. We are trying in conjunction with other village inhabitants to build up a history of the Mermaid Inn. Thanks to Vivien Soddy and the Elsing Heritage Society and also Richard at www.norfolkpubs.co.uk  group we have been able to make a good start. If you have any photographs or information that could help up build up our information and furnish this page we would be very glad to hear from you.

Photograph of The Mermaid Inn, taken in 1897
The mermaid Inn, 1897

Chronological listing of Publicans at The Mermaid Inn

Dates from 16th Century (1540)    
Referred over the centuries as the Meremaid and  Moormaid    
Conveyed by James and Miles Hobard to Daniel Farrington
1689
 
Charles and Elizabeth Forman mortgaged it to John Marker
1736
 
Mr Robert Eastoe paid 2/6d in rates for Ye Mermaid and Crown Point
1758
 
Overseer accounts for the poor April 16th Woman Taylor and Child paid 1.11 1/2d for refreshement
1812
 
March 31st Spent at Maremaid after militia 1.0d
1815
 
Paid J Wyre for eating and drink and sleeping Nailor and family 1.6d
1815
 
JOHN WIER  age 76 in 1841
1836
1841
JOHN PRINCE KENT & joiner
1845
 
Steward and Patteson Brewery Supplied as a free house
1846
1847
JOHN P KENT & carpenter wife Ruth 
1851
 
H KENT
1854
 
JOHN PRYME KENT & master carpenter
1856
1893
JOHN PRYME KENT & master carpenter & parish clerk 1861
1861
 
Evans Lambe Papers 1869 showed land of 2 roods, 10 perches, south of the church a close of 5 acres at the west end and an acre to the east.
1869
 
JOHN PRYME KENT & carpenter & wheelwright 1871
1871
 
JOHN PRYME KENT & parish clerk 1881
1881
 
JOHN PRYME KENT & joiner, wheelwright & well sinker 1883
1883
 
JOHN PRYME KENT & builder 1891
1891
 
Miss SUSAN JANE KENT Spinster
12.03.1894
 
THOMAS BALLS
23.12.1907
 
(FREDERICK KENDALL according to Kelly)
1908
 
ERNEST KENDALL
13.07.1908
 
Leased by Bullards until
11.10.1917
 
HERBERT SENDALL
1920
1924
EDGAR PALMER WOODROW
20/10/1924
1929
WILLIAM ALFRED SANDS
03/02/1930
29/04/1940 
HAROLD HOUCHEN (Houshen ?)
1942
 
ARTHUR T DUNTING
undated
1946
WILLIAM A BERRY
11/02/1946 
 
Leased by Youngs Crawshay & Youngs, Brewery
23/02/1951
11/10/1955
Sold to Bullards in the Sale below 
1955
 

Lot No. 17 in sale by auction of the Elsing Hall Estate. (Originally scheduled to be Saturday 25th June 1955, but revised to Saturday 16th July 1955). The property is described :-

`Built of brick with pan-tiled roof.... occupying a prominent corner position in the village.... Containing - Bar with (Tenants) fireplace, fitted cupboard and tiled floor; Card Room with wooden floor and fireplace; Servery with tiled floor; Smoke Room with wooden floor and fireplace.... Outside lavatories for Ladies and Gentlemen… The property is sold with the benefit of a 7 day Full licence.... Rateable value £22. '

Mermaid Inn auction sale catalogue (page 1) 1955
Mermaid Inn auction sale catalogue (page 2) 1955

Purchased by Bullards in the above sale 1955 and 1791 Taken over by Watneys in 1963
ARTHUR FREDERICK SIMMONDS (Tenant)
04/11/1963
1971
Closed by Watney Mann (East Anglia)
15/10/1976
Reopened as Free house 1977 following refurbishment.
JAMES JORDAN (Jimmy)
1971
1982
Major internal changes undertaken 1983/4
Stan & Sheila ..........
1982
Mike & Yvonne ..........
Dave & Paula ..........
John & Sylvie Smithers
Nicola & Stephen Tullock and Joanna Kitchener
1999
2002
Helen Higgins & Kevin Wills
24/06/2002